Sunday Morning Birth in Sacramento, California

Ginessa Pierson and I connected in a Birth Photography group, and I fell in love with both her spirit and her beautiful work. She shared this gorgeous hospital birth story with Birth Becomes Her, and from the moment we received her submission, we couldn't wait to share it with you. You can find more if Ginessa's beautiful work here and you can read her recounting of the birth below:

Business Website:

Facebook Page:

Instagram Handle:

I first met Leah, who was 8 months pregnant with her 4th son, and her husband at a local Starbucks. It only took me about 3.5 seconds to fall in love with each and every member of their family. They were warm and gracious and had a way of making me feel as if I had known them forever. They told me that this was going to be their last baby and it was important to them that I be there to capture this incredible moment in their lives so that when baby fever hit them in the future they would be able to look back clearly and relive the moments of their last birth.

When I asked Leah about her previous labors and births, I learned that she had a history of precipitous (very fast) labors. Like, the almost born in the lobby of the hospital kind of fast. And each baby boy came more quickly than his brother before him. As the weeks passed and I got to know (and love) Leah more, it became clear that she was terrified that she would give birth while in a less than desirable location: in her car during rush hour traffic with her three boys in tow, while out to dinner with her husband, while alone. It weighed heavy on her heart and kept her awake at night. I also worried that I wouldn't make it to the hospital, which was about 45 minutes from my house, in time.

Just as the sun was coming up on a beautiful Sunday morning, I got a text from Leah telling me that something was happening in her body. She wasn't sure if it was labor or not but she didn't feel quite normal. I was suddenly on high alert and wide awake. I did not want to miss this birth! Within a few more minutes she text again and told me they were headed to the hospital and that I should probably head that way too. I arrived an hour later, just as Leah was being admitted into a room and lucky for us, she was still pregnant!

Contractions were strong and steady but she was handling them beautifully. Without looking at the monitor, it was difficult for her husband and me to know when her contractions were coming and going because she was so still and peaceful. About two hours into labor, her breathing changed, her brow furrowed, and she requested the midwife. It was time!

A few moments later, a beautiful baby boy gently and peacefully made his way earth side. His perfectly timed arrival was an answer to his mother's prayers and the beautiful completion of her family of boys.